Saturday, August 21, 2010

China Town, Chicago

China Town, Chicago, is quite an interesting spot! It's easy to feel as though you have traveled all the way to China instead of just taking a subway ride downtown. There are lots of restaurants, variety and gift shops as well as Chinese markets selling everything. One of the things I found interesting were the ceramic tiles around the plaza.These could easily be turned into an interesting applique or stitching project. The last two photos were taken of a couple of ceramic motifs outside a shop.

Since I have started creating textile art, my observation skills have improved dramatically. Now when I look at something such as these ceramic tiles, I wonder how it can be used in a piece of art. For example, I look at texture, colour and line. Sometimes I will make a small sketch. Usually I take a digital photos of the things I find interesting and refer back to these. My camera is a constant companion.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for becoming a follower. Enjoyed seeing all your pictures of China Town. I used to live in Chicago. You are one of those multi talented people that we all admire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy. My daughter lives in Chicago so I am getting to know a bit about the city.

    ReplyDelete